Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bread, Glorious Bread

Bread is yummy. I like to buy the fresh baked bread from the overstocked section of the local large grocery's bakery, and they are fabulous. I've eaten the best brown bread and butter on a pilgrimage to Ireland. (Granted Irish butter is amazing and would no doubt make cardboard palatable.) But what about making my own bread?

I decided to start a sourdough starter, so that I'd be able to make bread (or pancakes, biscuits, etc...) anytime I wanted to. It will be like having my very own, micro-organism filled, pet. An active starter needs to be fed on a regular basis; twice a day or you can keep it in the fridge once it is well established and only feed it once a week. Joy says you can keep an established starter in the freezer as long as you let it relax in the fridge for 24 hours before making it into a sponge. Sounds good to me!

So after reading through more than a few helpful websites, and Joy of course, I mixed up about 1/2 cup of (AP white) flour with 1/4 cup water and let it sit on the counter overnight. No activity as yet, but I'm hopeful.

So my starter will sit until tonight and I will see if it is good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment