Thursday, October 15, 2009

New (to me) Cookbook

I have recently acquired one of my grandmother's old cookbooks; Betty Crocker. That makes two Betty Crocker's that I'd like to flip through sometime. The first one belonged to Grandma J and has many cut out and handwritten recipes, including the famous tomato sauce recipe that is the base for one of my uncle's "Ultimate Tomato Sauce"

On a side note this Ultimate Tomato Sauce is very labor intensive and therefore only made about once a year, making the sauce a rare gem to be treasured. It is slow simmered for 24 hours and has only the best of flavors in it. Not your typical Sunday tomato gravy.

Its fall now and therefore soup season! I've already made a pretty tasty Butternut Squash Soup thanks to a generous co-worker with an abundance of farmer's market squash. And I finally used my new (to me) red vintage pot; the best of yard sale finds. The soup turned out well; creamy and smooth, thick and hearty. Perfect with a side salad and a grilled cheese sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment